All about… Daikon Radish
25 . January .2013admin0 Comments
Radish, Daikon Organic Sprouting Seeds
• Soak seeds for 8 hours and rinse. Place in warm area out of direct sunlight. Rinse 3-4 times a day. Sprouts ready in 2 days. Store in sealed bag in refrigerator 1 week maximum.
These instructions refer to jar sprouting, but can be used as a general outline for sprouting:
1. Soak the sprouting seeds in about 3x the amount of water. Soak for about 8 hours. Rinse.
2. Drain the water from the seeds thoroughly. Tilt the upside-down sprouting jar to ensure all water trickles out in order to prevent mold. Store in a dark place.
3. Rinse the seeds 3-4 times a day. Drain water completely after each rinse. Continue this step for 2 days.
4. Once seeds have sprouted (you will see leaves showing up), you may want to “green” them by placing them in a sunny spot for a few hours.
5. Store the sprouts in a container in the refrigerator for a few days to maintain freshness.
Recipes/How to Use:
Salad with Sprouts
2 C. mixed salad greens
1 C. sprouts of your choice
1-2. carrots, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, sliced
1 celery stalk, chopped
Toss ingredients together and serve with your favorite salad dressing.
• Drain your sprouts thoroughly after each rinsing. This is vital if you want to prevent mold and spoilage, which can mean a ruined crop.
• Let the seeds soak for the right amount of time in warm water before starting the rinsing and draining process.
• If using a jar to sprout, tilt the jar at an angle after rinsing and draining to make sure any leftover water can leave the jar.
• Allow air to circulate in the sprouting container to help prevent mold.
• Keep sprouting seeds out of the light until they start showing leaves. At this point, you can set them in a sunny spot for a few hours to let them develop a green color.
• If any mold shows up on your sprouts DO NOT eat them. Toss them out and start over.