• Soak seeds in 2-3 times as much cool water for about 10 hours. Rinse and drain every 10 hours or so for about 12 days.
Onion sprouts have a taste that is milder than an onion but still delightfully flavorful. These sprouts can be slow-growing, but they are full of vitamins and flavor and definitely worth the wait. Try substituting onion sprouts where you would normally use onion in recipes.
These instructions refer to jar sprouting, but can be used as a general outline for sprouting:
1. Soak the sprouting seeds in about 3x the amount of water. Soak for about 10 hours.
2. After soaking, drain the water from the seeds thoroughly. Tilt the upside-down sprouting jar to ensure all water trickles out in order to prevent mold. Store in a dark place.
3. Rinse the seeds every 10 hours. Drain water completely after each rinse. Continue this step for 12 days.
4. Once seeds have sprouted (you will see leaves showing up), you may want to “green” them by placing them in a sunny spot for a few hours.
5. Store the sprouts in a container in the refrigerator for a few days to maintain freshness.
Recipes/How to Use:
Sprouts make a wonderful addition to salads, sandwiches, drinks, stir-fries, and other dishes.
Salad with Sprouts
2 C. mixed salad greens
1 C. sprouts of your choice
1-2. carrots, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, sliced
1 celery stalk, chopped
Toss ingredients together and serve with your favorite salad dressing.
• Drain your sprouts thoroughly after each rinsing. This is vital if you want to prevent mold and spoilage, which can mean a ruined crop.
• Let the seeds soak for the right amount of time in warm water before starting the rinsing and draining process.
• If using a jar to sprout, tilt the jar at an angle after rinsing and draining to make sure any leftover water can leave the jar.
• Allow air to circulate in the sprouting container to help prevent mold.
• Keep sprouting seeds out of the light until they start showing leaves. At this point, you can set them in a sunny spot for a few hours to let them develop a green color.
• If any mold shows up on your sprouts DO NOT eat them. Toss them out and start over.